It is only natural for a kindhearted soul to desire to see only the best in people, but unfortunately there are those among us who are far from trustworthy. It is important for you to be your own best advocate, and do everything you can to insure your safety.
When Completing Your Profile
- Do not divulge any personal identifying information, such as your last name, when completing your profile
- Avoid accessing your account from public or shared computers
When Meeting A Date
- Tell a friend, or family member where you are going, who you are meeting, and what time you plan to return.
- Have a friend or family member call, or text , 15 to 30 into the date to see how you are doing. Have an agreed upon code word or phrase that alerts your friend to call the police.
- Drive your own vehicle, and make sure it is in good working order, and your tank has ample fuel.
- Meet in a well lit, well populated public place, such as a popular restaurant. The busier the location, the better. If your date refuses to meet in a public location, consider this a red flag.
- Take a mobile phone, and make sure your battery is fully charged.
- It is advisable to avoid alcohol when meeting someone for the first time so that you can remain sharp and alert. If you do choose to drink, monitor your alcohol intake closely, and NEVER leave your beverage unattended. Have your beverage within your line of vision at all times.
- NEVER give out personal information, such as home address or email. Keep your communication within the dating site.
- Bring your own money. Offer to go dutch so that there is no presumption that something is “owed” at the end of the date.
- Keep pepper spray or mace in your purse as an added safety precaution.
- Trust your intuition! If you feel uncomfortable for any reason, do not waste your time, head for the nearest exit and find a trustworthy escort, such as a restaurant manager, to walk you to your car.
- Find out everything you can about the person you are to meet. Background checks are strongly adviced, but keep in mind that you will only find information on those who have been prosecuted and have a criminal record, so do not have a false sense of security.